Sunday, January 25, 2015

Markings to tell my story

The film was great. I had no idea about Sailor Jerry's story, I had only known his art (but mostly by his rum). The most interesting point of the film to me was about when he introduced Don to Horihide in hopes that Ed Hardy could surpass him and grow the love for Japanese style as his legacy. It is sad that Ed Hardy has retired, because I feel nobody today would have the strive to study the style as hard as he did. I hope that someday he will officially come back so I could have the chance to get a piece from the master himself, to go along with my Lyle signature and have at least two of the greats on my canvas.

As a modern primitive, it is sad to think about the godfather of American tattoos as being dead. I feel that even though he had been dead long before I was born, I feel connected to him. I do not have a suit, I only have 6 tattoos (including my chains separately even though they are a pair) and all of mine have a specific story with them. I love the concept that ink is what will tell our story after we die, because aside from stories (written or verbal) we can express ourselves in that way.

Most of you have seen my Zebrahead tattoo, and as far as I know I am the only person in the world with that tattoo. It is a representation of my favourite band (Zebrahead), my favourite song and quote (let it ride), and a tribute to my dead cousin (his favourite band was Aerosmith and he has their logo in the same spot).I do not mind explaining the story to anyone who asks, because it is my representation, a specifically custom piece, and has important meaning to me that will carry on as long as I am still alive. People say a tattoo is forever, and I plan on keeping mine (and the stories that they represent) with me for eternity.

I would love to know what Sailor Jerry's thoughts would be on the amount of custom work that is being produced today. While I have a love for certain flash tattoos, I feel that it means something more when the piece is extremely custom to you. At the same time, we have gone so far from traditional Japanese style tattoos that many people get tattoos that just look cool and have no specific meaning, or artists that don't care what their work they turn out looks like. There will always be a base for the Japanese style, but it may have to go back underground like it was originally.

No comments:

Post a Comment