Monday, February 16, 2015

Age Limit on Plastic Surgeries?

Hello Everyone!

Like I have said before in class, and other posts, I think that people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies. However, I had always made that statement with the implication that people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, as long as they are of legal age. I had never even considered before that people, primarily talking about teenage girls, were getting breast augmentation, nose jobs, and other surgeries of the like.

When I was a teenager, especially in high school, I was highly insecure about my body: my breasts were too small, my thighs were too big, I was too tall, I weighed too much, I still had baby fat, etc. As I've gotten older, I've become much more secure about my body shape. (Not to say that I'm not still insecure about some things, but it has gotten a lot better.) I now feel confident with my smaller breasts. I am more confident now, and care less about what other people think.

Keeping this in mind, I was horrified to learn that normal (beautiful) teenage girls were getting breast augmentation and nose jobs because they felt self conscious about their bodies. I can't really fault them for wanting to feel better about themselves, but I can fault the parents for not knowing better. Their parents should have had the insight to realize that they might grow out of hating their nose/breasts when they actually become an adult and get perspective on the world.

I know that if I had gotten plastic surgery when I was a teen, (not that I had ever wanted to), I would regret it now.

In these cases, I think the parents and the doctors should be held responsible, and at least put an 18+ age limit on these surgeries. (With the exception of the extreme cases of disfiguring injury or health-impeding bodily afflictions.)

-Erika

1 comment:

  1. In terms of teen girls and plastic surgery I cannot move pass the belief this sends a very bad symbolic message. Your body must conform idealized notions of beauty. As you noted, the teens in question were already attractive women in no need of surgery.

    ReplyDelete